The guidance you need

Home > Family Law Practice > Child Support

Child Support Attorney

Many people make the mistake of assuming the only person who can file for and be deemed entitled to child support payments is a divorcing spouse or genetic parent of the child. But according to child support lawsin South Central PA – as with the rest of the state and the country – anyone who is responsible for the raising of a child can attempt to collectchild support as long as the child in question is under the age of 18 (unless they are deemed “special needs,” in which case the support may continue beyond their 18th year).

This means that not just parents, but grandparents, other relations, foster parents and even welfare agencies can sue for child support. Between parents, whether married or not, support can be sought and awarded no matter what the financial situation of each parent is. This surprises some who assume a level of poverty or debt will inure them from child support in South Central PA – but the determining factor is not the parent’s income, but rather the needs of the child.

If you are involved in a child support case in Harrisburg, PA, you will always have an initial chance to negotiate an agreement at a Support Conference. This is your chance to come to peaceable terms with the other party regarding the support you’re asked to give and avoid a lengthy, emotionally trying, and potentially expensive court hearing. As with all other aspects of the case, the best interests of the child or children in question will always be the guiding and determining factor for any discussions and negotiations, and the attorneys for both sides of the negotiation will advise as to the best possible strategy in order to balance the needs of the child and the needs of the parent.

Our Law Office

Law Offices of Peter J. Russo
245 Grandview Avenue,
Suite 102
Camp Hill, PA 17011

Practice Areas